Taken in 1971 this picture, taken from above, shows land at Spot Acre, near Fulford. Purchased by John and Elijah Hill in about 1849, in order to set up their nursery business there. John Hill and Sons Nursery eventually occupied about 800 acres around Spot Acre and Moddershall, before closing in 1990.
The Darlaston estate was owned by Burton Abbey, but during the Reformation the estate was sold to James Collier, a wool merchant.
The estate was sold to William Jervis of Meaford in 1655, and it remained in the Jervis family until it was sold in 1880 to James Meakin, a pottery manufacturer. The hall was remained in the Meakin family up to 1951.
The hall is now demolished and a bungalow now occupies the site. This photograph was taken between 1945 and 1955.
An aerial view of GEC Measurements, Stone, originally built as the Lotus shoe factory. The main building in the centre of this aerial view was built in 1950 for Lotus Ltd. In the foreground is Longton Road, with Cross Street to the left. Top left is Oulton Road. The football pitch area is now occupied by factory buildings.
A hall has stood on this site since the seventeenth century. Towards the end of the century a William Jervis of Chatcull bought the estate, and in 1740 soldiers of the Duke of Cumberland were billeted in the hall. In 1735 John Jervis was born; he later became an Admiral and Earl St. Vincent.
The hall was modernised in the early nineteenth century and remained in this state until 1872, when Lady Forester extended and renovated the building.
In 1943 Meaford Hall was sold, and during the Second World War it was used by the U.S. Army and pupils from Alleynes Grammar School. In the mid 1960s the existing estate was sold to Percy Bilton Ltd., who used the hall for offices for about twenty-five years.
By 1996 it remained empty and vandalised, until the estate was sold and the new owner restored what remained of the hall. The building opened on 14 February 1997, the bi-centenary of the Battle of St. Vincent, John Jervis’ greatest victory.
This photograph taken from a sale catalogue, between 1960 and 1965.