Eccleshall memories strike a chord

Staffordshire’s Senior Museums Officer, Chris Copp, dips into the comprehensive collection of Gazette reader, Eccleshall’s Pat Trevor…

Here is a selection of images from Pat Trevor’s extensive collection of photographs of Eccleshall and surrounding villages and hamlets, collected over many years. Pat has very generously lent the digitised versions of his collection for Staffordshire Past Track and the Stone Gazette, so we will be featuring some of his photographs in future editions of the Gazette.

Spectators and a pianist pictured outside Doctor Goss’s house at the junction of Stafford Street and Chebsey Lane (now Stone Road) in Eccleshall. It was demolished when Stone Road was widened in the Second World War to allow military vehicles to pass through.  This group look as though they are waiting for something to happen, but we are not sure what event was taking place.­ It could be part of celebrations for the Coronation of King George V in 1911.
Spectators and a pianist pictured outside Doctor Goss’s house at the junction of Stafford Street and Chebsey Lane (now Stone Road) in Eccleshall. It was demolished when Stone Road was widened in the Second World War to allow military vehicles to pass through. This group look as though they are waiting for something to happen, but we are not sure what event was taking place.­ It could be part of celebrations for the Coronation of King George V in 1911.

 

Eccleshall Boy Scouts band pictured outside their headquarters, a former chapel on Newport Road, now a private residence, in about 1915-1920.
Eccleshall Boy Scouts band pictured outside their headquarters, a former chapel on Newport Road, now a private residence, in about 1915-1920.

 

Pupils and teachers at Ashley Church of England School, near Eccleshall, 1948.  The staff seated in the middle are Mrs Brown, Mr Horton and Miss Potts.
Pupils and teachers at Ashley Church of England School, near Eccleshall, 1948. The staff seated in the middle are Mrs Brown, Mr Horton and Miss Potts.

 

Left to right: Cliff Parton, John Tapley, Pat Trevor and Joan Parton at Bromley Pool, near Eccleshall, about 1950.
Left to right: Cliff Parton, John Tapley, Pat Trevor and Joan Parton at Bromley Pool, near Eccleshall, about 1950.
Regulars in their Sunday best pictured at the Royal Oak at High Offley in about 1910.
Regulars in their Sunday best pictured at the Royal Oak at High Offley in about 1910.

 

A bus trip pictured outside the Brown Jug at Bishop’s Offley, 1920s
A bus trip pictured outside the Brown Jug at Bishop’s Offley, 1920s

These details and many more images from Pat’s collection will be added to the Staffordshire Past Track website (www.staffspasttrack.org.uk) over the coming months. If you have any images to lend, or any extra information, please contact the Past Track team: Staffordshire Past Track, Staffordshire Archives & Heritage, Shugborough, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB. Telephone 01889 881388, email past.track@staffordshire.gov.uk.