More Eccleshall memories to hopefully strike a chord …

Staffordshire’s Senior Museums Officer, Chris Copp, dips once again into the
comprehensive picture collection of Gazette reader, Eccleshall’s Pat Trevor …

H3-copy
Fancy Dress Competition, Eccleshall, 1930s. Probably part of the celebrations for the Coronation of King Edward VI in 1937. Note ‘Harry Lauder’ on the right!

We now have a second selection of images from Stone’s celebrations for the Coronation of 1953, from an album of photographs compiled by Mr W.H. Bowers at the time, and kindly lent by Stone Town Council.
Although the Diamond Jubilee celebrations took place last summer, the original festivities took place not in 1952 at the    time of her accession, but in 1953, celebrating the occasion of Queen Elizabeth II’s Coronation in Westminster Abbey          on 2nd June.

National Fire Service, Eccleshall, 1941-1945.  They are pictured outside the old Fire Station on High Street, built in 1891.  The Auxiliary Fire Service was formed from volunteers at the outbreak of the 2nd World War, to assist the regular Fire Brigades. The name was changed to The National Fire Service in August 1941 when the regional regular Fire Brigades and the AFS were merged. After the war the NFS was dissolved and Fire Brigades returned to being organised on a regional basis. Do you recognise anyone?
National Fire Service, Eccleshall, 1941-1945. They are pictured outside the old Fire Station on High Street, built in 1891.  The Auxiliary Fire Service was formed from volunteers at the outbreak of the 2nd World War, to assist the regular        Fire Brigades. The name was changed to The National Fire Service in August 1941 when the regional regular                   Fire Brigades and the AFS were merged. After the war the NFS was dissolved and Fire Brigades returned to                  being organised on a regional basis. Do you recognise anyone?

 

St. Paul’s Church Choir and Officials, Croxton, 1950s
St. Paul’s Church Choir and Officials, Croxton, 1950s

 

Storm damage at Walk Mill, Bishop’s Offley, January 1976 .  Walk Mill dates from the late  eighteenth century and was used for grinding corn and in the production of malt. There was an earlier mill on this site which was used for fulling or 'walking' cloth, hence the name.
Storm damage at Walk Mill, Bishop’s Offley, January 1976 . Walk Mill dates from the late eighteenth century and was used for grinding corn and in the production of malt. There was an earlier mill on this site which was used for fulling or ‘walking’ cloth, hence the name.

 

Cut flower sales at the Cattle Market, Eccleshall, late 1970s
Cut flower sales at the Cattle Market, Eccleshall, late 1970s

These details and all the images featured will shortly be seen on the Staffordshire Past Track website (www.staffspasttrack.org.uk). If you have any images to lend, or any extra information, please contact the Past Track team: Staffordshire Past Track, Staffordshire Archives & Heritage, Shugborough, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB. Telephone 01889 881388. email: past.track@staffordshire.gov.uk.