Staffordshire’s Senior Museums Officer, Chris Copp, introduces a new selection of photographs of one of the County’s much loved villages
This month we have a set of postcard views and photographs from Sandon, kindly lent to us by Mrs Kathleen Dewberry. Sandon is a very distinctive ‘Estate Village’, with many buildings built in an ‘Arts and Crafts’ style by the Earls of Harrowby of Sandon Hall. It is a village which has changed very little since the postcard views were taken around a century ago. However, go back further in time and the picture is very different.
The Domesday book mentions two villages: Little Sandon, which is the site of the current village, and Great Sandon, which no longer stands. In the parkland close to the Norman church of All Saints in Sandon Park are a series of low earthworks, and further away towards the modern Sandon Hall is a mediaeval moat – these are the remains of Great Sandon and its manor house. This village was abandoned in 1717 to make way for Sandon Deer Park, and since then the focus for the village has been on the main road along the Trent valley.
These details and all the images featured will shortly be seen on the Staffordshire Past Track website (www.staffspasttrack.org.uk). If you have any images to lend, or any extra information, please contact the Past Track team: Staffordshire Past Track, Staffordshire Archives & Heritage, Shugborough, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB. Telephone 01889 881388. email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Past Track has recently joined the 21st century – it now has its own facebook page, so please ‘like’ us to keep up to date with what’s new on the site.