The Uttoxeter Guisers visited several public houses in Stone and performed the ancient Stone Mummers’ play. The players are dressed in the traditional guisers costume (disguisers) of ‘rags and tatters’.
At the last venue, the Swan on Stafford Street, Philip Leason, the Town Mayor, was invited to carve the decorated pig’s head which was the traditional dish eaten for supper on Twelfth Night. This was the last time the tradition was revived in Stone.
Pictured with Mayor Leason are, from left to right: Graham Arnold, Roy Sedgwick, Ted ‘Tod’ Williams, Robert Arnold and Sid Williams. Graham Arnold was the landlord of one of the pubs in Stone at the time.
The Uttoxeter Guisers continue to perform on Christmas Eve in the pubs and clubs of Uttoxeter, and on Christmas Day at a number of private homes in the area. This has been an annual occurence since the 19th century.
Father Christmas distributing packets of sweets at the Infant’s Christmas Party held at Manor Hill County Primary School, Walton, Stone in 1955. To the right are Miss Dorothy D. Riley (Headmistress) and Miss P. Wells-Bladen (Chairman of the Managers).
The Chairman of the Managers and staff at the Infant’s Christmas Party held at Manor Hill County Primary School, Walton, Stone in 1955.
Clockwise from the near end of the table: Miss P. Wells-Bladen (Chairman of the Managers), ?, Mr. Clarry Cooper, ?, Miss Dorothy D. Riley (Headmistress), ?, ?, ?, ?, Mr. Angus Holford.
A Brownies’ Christmas dinner party,
held at the Congregational Church (now St. John’s Methodist Reformed Church) on Granville Terrace, Stone.
The women in the light dress at the back is Mrs Kay Webb, standing next to her husband Frank. Also in the back row are Rev. Norwood, Miss Banks (Brown Owl), Mrs Norwood, barbara Benbow and Hazel Warrilow.
The Brownies include Wendy Stanier, Diane Varley, Pat Maddox, Linda Bates, Christine Hassle, Marjorie Dix, Lyn Walls, Yvonne Lovatt, Christine Stanier, Ruth Twain, Brenda Moore, Pauline Myatt, Christine Burton (nee Mellor), Jean Chilton, Margaret Williams, Pat Swanwick, Jean Norwood, Jean Clutton, Ann Burt, Nyno Bennett and Sandra Peace.
These details and all the images featured will shortly be seen on the Staffordshire Past Track website (www.staffspasttrack.org.uk). If you have any images to lend, or any extra information, please contact the Past Track team: Staffordshire Past Track, Staffordshire Archives & Heritage, Shugborough, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB. Telephone 01889 881388. email: email@example.com. You can also keep up to date with what’s new on Past Track by ‘liking’ our facebook page.