New arrivals to the Past Track archive

Staffordshire’s Senior Museums Officer, Chris Copp’s catch up with some new arrivals at Staffs Past Track

This month we have a miscellany of images of Stone and its environs which have been added to the Staffordshire Past Track website in recent months. There are now over 27,000 images on the site relating to Staffordshire’s history and heritage, and new resources are being added all the time. These details and all the images featured can be seen on the Staffordshire Past Track website (www.staffspasttrack.org.uk ). If you have any images to lend, or any extra information, please contact the Past Track team: Staffordshire Past Track, Staffordshire Archives & Heritage, Shugborough, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB. Telephone 01889 881388.

You can also keep up to date with what’s new on Past Track by ‘liking’ our facebook page.

Slindon Post Office and General Store, about 1920.   At the time of this photograph the Postmistress was Mary E. Peach. A postcard view published by E.J. Hurlstone of Eccleshall. (Mr Pat Trevor)
Slindon Post Office and General Store, about 1920.
At the time of this photograph the Postmistress was Mary E. Peach. A postcard view published by E.J. Hurlstone of Eccleshall. (Mr Pat Trevor)
Celebrations for Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, Stone, 1937.   The Coronation celebrations executive committee pictured at the Town Hall: Sitting: Councillor P. C. Dutton (Chairman of Pensioners Entertainment Committee & President of Traders’ Association and well known local photographer), Councillor E. Henahall (Vice Chairman of Celebration Committee), Councillor T. Bagley (Chairman of Urban District Council and. Celebration Committee), Councillor J. E. Crick, B.A., B.Sc., (Chairman of Sports Committee), Councillor H. C. Hurd, J.P., (Chairman of Illuminations & Decorations Committee),  Standing: Mr J. W. Moore (Chairman of Records Committee), Mr A. N. Barrowcliffe (Clerk’s Assistant), Mr C. H. Matthews (Clerk of Urban District Council and of Celebration Committee), Mr E. Shufflebotham (Hon. Treasurer to Celebration Committee), Mr W. H. Bowers (Chairman of Carnival Committee), Mr S. Smallwood (Chairman of Bonfire Committee), Mr H. Barker Smith (Chairman of School Children’s Treat Committee). (Stone Town Council)
Celebrations for Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, Stone, 1937.
The Coronation celebrations executive committee pictured at the Town Hall:
Sitting: Councillor P. C. Dutton (Chairman of Pensioners Entertainment Committee & President of Traders’ Association and well known local photographer), Councillor E. Henahall (Vice Chairman of Celebration Committee), Councillor T. Bagley (Chairman of Urban District Council and. Celebration Committee), Councillor J. E. Crick, B.A., B.Sc., (Chairman of Sports Committee), Councillor H. C. Hurd, J.P., (Chairman of Illuminations & Decorations Committee),
Standing: Mr J. W. Moore (Chairman of Records Committee), Mr A. N. Barrowcliffe (Clerk’s Assistant), Mr C. H. Matthews (Clerk of Urban District Council and of Celebration Committee), Mr E. Shufflebotham (Hon. Treasurer to Celebration Committee), Mr W. H. Bowers (Chairman of Carnival Committee), Mr S. Smallwood (Chairman of Bonfire Committee), Mr H. Barker Smith (Chairman of School Children’s Treat Committee). (Stone Town Council)
Little Stoke Cricket Club ground maintenance, 1946.  Members and players working on the extension to the square.  From left to right: Reg Finney, Cliff Wall, Peter Bagley, Bert Selwood, Don Babb, Sid Jenkins, John Dennis, Jack Atkin, Jack Owen, Ellis Price. Little Stoke Cricket Club were formed in 1946 after the amalgamation of two Stone-based cricket clubs:                         Aston-by-Stone C.C. and Christ Church C.C. (Staffordshire Museum Service / Little Stoke C.C.)
Little Stoke Cricket Club ground maintenance, 1946.
Members and players working on the extension to the square. From left to right: Reg Finney, Cliff Wall, Peter Bagley, Bert Selwood, Don Babb, Sid Jenkins, John Dennis, Jack Atkin, Jack Owen, Ellis Price. Little Stoke Cricket Club were formed in 1946 after the amalgamation of two Stone-based cricket clubs: Aston-by-Stone C.C. and Christ Church C.C. (Staffordshire Museum Service / Little Stoke C.C.)
English Electric Co. at Meaford Power Station, 8 May 1948.   A visit by the English Electric Co. Stafford, Engineering Society, to Meaford Generating Station. The much smaller 'A' station opened in 1947 and ceased generation in 1974 and was demolished in 1982.  'B' station was formally opened on 4 October 1957 although electricity generation started in December 1955. 'B' station generated for the last time on 28 September 1990 at 1.00pm. The cooling towers were demolished in September 1991 just before formal closure on 1 October 1991. However, the power station itself was not demolished until 1996 with work commencing in early January and the chimney coming down by explosion on the 6th June 1996. (Mr Bob Metcalfe)
English Electric Co. at Meaford Power Station, 8 May 1948.
A visit by the English Electric Co. Stafford, Engineering Society, to Meaford Generating Station. The much smaller ‘A’ station opened in 1947 and ceased generation in 1974 and was demolished in 1982. ‘B’ station was formally opened on 4 October 1957 although electricity generation started in December 1955. ‘B’ station generated for the last time on 28 September 1990 at 1.00pm. The cooling towers were demolished in September 1991 just before formal closure on 1 October 1991. However, the power station itself was not demolished until 1996 with work commencing in early January and the chimney coming down by explosion on the 6th June 1996. (Mr Bob Metcalfe)
Marching band in a parade on the High Street, Stone, early 1970s.   Can anyone identify the event?  We don’t think that it’s the 1975 Jubilee.  On the left is the Unicorn Hotel which was demolished in the early 1980s. On the right with the AA and RAC signs is the Crown Hotel. Many of the other buildings remain although their ground floors have changed over the years. (Mr Ian Hazlehurst)
Marching band in a parade on the High Street, Stone, early 1970s.
Can anyone identify the event? We don’t think that it’s the 1975 Jubilee. On the left is the Unicorn Hotel which was demolished in the early 1980s. On the right with the AA and RAC signs is the Crown Hotel. Many of the other buildings remain although their ground floors have changed over the years. (Mr Ian Hazlehurst)