Traditionally one of the busiest times of the year for the rail industry, this Christmas will be no different, with a host of major activity taking place on both the Stafford Resignalling and Norton Bridge projects.
With the railway closed between Crewe and Stafford all day Christmas Day, Boxing Day and 27th December, during this period the Staffordshire Alliance (which includes Network Rail) will be working around the clock (including the 28th December) across five sites, with key activities including:
Norton Bridge & Yarnfield
• Bridgeworks and overhead line work towards the southern end of the project at Little Bridgeford
• Trackworks towards the northern end of the project near Yarnfield, including preparatory works for the installation of bridges
• Drainage works near to the junction of Station Road and the B5026
During the works at Yarnfield, the existing footpath that crosses the West Coast main line will be closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day between the B5026 and Walnut Farm at Yarnfield.
The equipment in use means some disturbance is unavoidable, but we will make every effort to minimise any unnecessary noise. Furthermore, those working on site are briefed on working responsibly in the local community.
As part of the improvement works, the railway, between Crewe and Stafford/ Wolverhampton will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and 27th December.
During this period, the following alternative travel arrangements will operate:
Christmas Day and Boxing Day – No services
Saturday 27 December – buses will replace trains:
• Between Wolverhampton & Crewe
• Between Rugeley Trent Valley and Stafford
• Between Stafford and Stoke
On Sunday 28 December – buses will replace trains:
• Between Wolverhampton and Crewe
• An hourly train will run between Crewe and Liverpool on both days
For passengers planning to travel to London Euston during this period, please note Network Rail is also carrying out major improvements works in the Watford area from Christmas Day until 29th December.
For further information about Christmas travel arrangements, contact National Rail Enquiries at www.nationalrail.co.uk/ christmas or on 08457 48 49 50.