Rural Life in Barlaston in the 1890’s

Staffordshire’s Senior Museums Officer, Chris Copp with more recent additions from Barlaston to Staffs Past Track

Brook House, Old Road, Barlaston, 1890. Looking north towards Trentham from Barlaston along Old Road. Brook House is on the right and still stands. The ford has been culverted. (Mr A. Kirkham)
Brook House, Old Road, Barlaston, 1890. Looking north towards Trentham from Barlaston along Old Road. Brook House is on the right and still stands. The ford has been culverted. (Mr A. Kirkham)
September’s Gazette featured a selection of photographs taken from an album which belonged to the Kirkham family of Old Road Farm in Barlaston, taken in the late 19th century.  And here’s a second dip into local rural life from the 1890’s.
Trent and Mersey Canal, Barlaston, 1890.  A working narrowboat on the Trent and Mersey canal near Barlaston. (Mr A. Kirkham)
Trent and Mersey Canal, Barlaston, 1890. A working narrowboat on the Trent and Mersey canal near Barlaston. (Mr A. Kirkham)

Many thanks again to Andrew Kirkham for passing on these images for the Staffordshire Past Track website.

Barlaston Hall Estate, 1890.  This is probably the track that led from Old Road Farm towards Barlaston Hall. It was later converted into the public road named Wedgwood Drive. (Mr A. Kirkham)
Barlaston Hall Estate, 1890. This is probably the track that led from Old Road Farm towards Barlaston Hall. It was later converted into the public road named Wedgwood Drive. (Mr A. Kirkham)

These photographs and others from the same album are available on the Staffordshire Past Track website (www.staffspasttrack.org.uk).

Old Road Farm yard, Barlaston, 1890. (Mr A. Kirkham)
Old Road Farm yard, Barlaston, 1890. (Mr A. Kirkham)
H-27288-0
St. John’s Church, Barlaston, 1890. St. John’s Church is situated close to Barlaston Hall. The earliest part of the church is the tower, dating from the twelfth century; the remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1888. Inside are memorials to the Wedgwood family. The building was closed in 1980 after subsidence caused cracks in the masonry. (Mr A. Kirkham)
Old Road Farm, Barlaston, 1890.  Photograph of a small child (Frederick John Kirkham, 1888-1970) on the front lawn of the farmhouse. The farm house no longer exists, although some of the farm buildings have survived and the site is now (2014) occupied by Barlaston Old Road Garage. Note the espaliered fruit trees on the front of the farm house. (Mr A. Kirkham)
Old Road Farm, Barlaston, 1890. Photograph of a small child (Frederick John Kirkham, 1888-1970) on the front lawn of the farmhouse. The farm house no longer exists, although some of the farm buildings have survived and the site is now (2014) occupied by Barlaston Old Road Garage. Note the espaliered fruit trees on the front of the farm house. (Mr A. Kirkham)

If you have any images to lend, or any extra information, please contact the Past Track team: Staffordshire Past Track, Staffordshire Archives & Heritage, Shugborough, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB.  Telephone 01889 881388. email: past.track@staffordshire.gov.uk.  You can also keep up to date with what’s new on Past Track by ‘liking’ our facebook page.