Stone Dominoes Ladies 5 – 0 Shrewsbury Town Ladies


Stone moved to within 1 point of the staffs county league title after a convincing win over second placed Shrewsbury Town. It was a nervous start to the game from both sides with neither team keeping possession well,Stone had a couple of half chances from Mollie Prime and Lauren Ward, and a few crosses from Prime and Kerry McCourt flew across the box but there was nobody on the end of them. Shrewsbury managed to create a couple of breaks on the stone goal but last ditch tackles from Becky Arnold and Hayley Mason made sure the game stayed level.

The game was then delayed for half an hour after a collision between 2 players left a shrewsbury Town player needing medical treatment. The game restarted with 15 minutes of the first half left to play, Stone continued to pile on the pressure and nearly took the Vikki Garner went close, their hard work finally payed off with 5 minutes of the half left when Mollie Prime set the ball back for Laura Baskerville who hit a shot from 25 yards that surprsied the shrewsbury keeper and went through her legs and into the net. Half Time 1-0

Stone made one change at half time with Hannah Woolfal-Smith coming on, Stone went straight on the front foot again with Skipper Lauren Ward, Baskerville and Price dictating the game from the midfield. they won a couple of corners that McCourt floated into the box but Stone failed to get anything from it. They did manage to double their lead on 54 minutes after a ball into the box from Nat Price was met by Prime who’s challenge in the air allowed to ball to drop to woolfal-smith on the box and she fired the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

They quickly made it 3-0 a few minutes when Prime got a well deserved goal, a through ball from baskerville allowed prime to go one on one with the shrewsbury keeper, who made a great save, only for the ball to fall back at Primes feet and she put the ball into the corner of the net. Stone then made two more changes with Holly Fowell and Laura Barker coming on, they made an instant impact and Stone soon added their fourth goal on 72 minutes when a quick throw in from Prime allowed Woolfal-Smith to control on the edge of the box and volley the ball into the net for her second of the game. Shrewsbury almost got a goal back after they found themselves in the box unmarked only for her to hit the post and stone eventually cleared. Nat Price then went close to making it 5 when she turned in the box and hit a shot that but it hit the side netting. Stone then introduced Lydia Bennion to the game after 7 weeks out injured and quickly got into the game, link up play between Bennion and Woolfal-Smith allowed right back Bethan Woodings to swing in a lovely cross to an unmarked Vikki Garner who stooped to head the ball into the net to give stone a 5-0 lead. Player of the match was Simone Kelsall who had an excellent game at left back.

The win now puts stone 6 points clear at the top of the table with 2 games remaining. Stone need 1more point from the final two games to be officially crowned champions.They travel to third placed Burton Albion on sunday.