Stone Dominoes Ladies‏ lose out to Burton in the quarter final


Burton Albion Ladies 4 – Stone Dominoes 0

West Midland Division 1 North League Cup Quarter Final

The Dominoes visited the league leaders in their first game in over 8weeks. Stone started brightly but soon began to find themselves under pressure from the Burton team. Burton began to dominate, as soon as Stone regain possession sloppy passing gave Burton the ball back. After a long range shot was taken from a Burton striker, it looped over keeper Charlotte Perry, Perry managing to get her hand to it however it fell into the back of the net. 1-0 Burton. Central defender Hayley Mason had to be taken off injured within the first 10minutes, which meant a switch around in the defence with left back Simone Kelsall stepping into centre half and left back Bethan Woodings coming on.

A second goal came from a striker slipping through the offside trap set by the defence, 2-0 Burton. Stone continued to panic and another 2 sloppy goals came soon after. Being 4-0 down in just 35minutes Stone managed to pull themselves together, finally managing to play the football they are capable of. Half time 4-0 to Burton.

The second half saw a change with the Stone team, changing the formation to 4-4-2, bringing Nat Williams and Jordan Timmins-Ray on for Nat Price and Tammi Bennett. With the changes and the half time team talk, Stone completely changed their mind set and started the 2nd half very well. Possession was kept well between defence and midfield, and with some diagonal runs made from Jordan Timmins-Ray, soon caused havoc for the Burton defence. Timmins-Ray found herself one on one with the keeper, taking it around her, however was closed down by the defender blocking her shot.

Soon after Timmins-Ray was through again after a ball from right winger Kerry McCourt however as it was her first game back in almost a year, her sharpness in front of goal was missing as she failed to hit the target. Stones defence worked hard and Becky Arnolds communication kept the team working all over the pitch. Mollie Prime was substituted for Nat Price with 20minutes to go, and soon after Jordan Timmins-ray had another chance on goal but during this play, she had to come off injured after an ankle injury stopped her involvement.

With minutes left, Jules Kendrick looped the ball over the Burton defence, for Hannah Perry to run on to, Perry’s first game since her injury back in November. Perry took a shot, however the keeper parried away for a corner. Final score was 4-0 to Burton, a game of two halves. Stone disappointed with their first half performance however the second half saw a great display from the team, who struggled with injuries before and during the game.

Player of the match was right back Lisa Elliott, her constant enthusiasm and effort kept Burtons Left winger at bay. Elliott has come close to being player of the match many times, however this is her first for the club.