The newly restored Trentham Tower in Sandon Park will be open to the public on Sunday July 10th. The Grade II* listed structure will be part of a short guided walk taking in the Park’s other historical features.
The Tower originally sat on top of Trentham Hall, which was designed by Houses of Parliament architect Sir Charles Barry and built between 1834 and 1849.
When Trentham Hall was demolished in 1910-12, the Tower was acquired by the then Earl of Harrowby and moved to Sandon at a cost of £192 and 7 shillings.
The Harrowbys had historical family connections to the Leveson-Gowers at Trentham,
“The 1st Earl of Harrowby married Susan Leveson-Gower in 1795. She was the daughter of the 2nd Earl of Gower, later 1st Marquis of Stafford. His son, the 2nd Marquis of Stafford was created Duke of Sutherland in 1833,”
Ben Duncan, Agent for the Harrowby Estate told the Gazette.
“The Tower fell into disrepair over the years and was subject to vandalism which damaged the finials and balustrades, especially on the upper part of the structure,” he continued. “There was severe cracking in the main structure owing to the movement of the concrete within the building.”
“With help and encouragement from Heritage England and Natural England the estate put in hand the restoration of the Tower and the work was carried out by Historic Building Conservation Ltd of Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire under the supervision of Oliver Architecture Ltd of Birmingham, who are also the architects to Peterborough Cathedral. The work has been carried out over a nine-month period and was made all the more difficult by the extremely wet autumn winter and spring.”
“All the broken or missing stonework has been replaced using stone from Grinshill Quarry in Shropshire and the entire structure has been overhauled and restored to its former glory.”
The July 10th visit to the Tower starts at 2pm from All Saints Church at the top of Church Lane, Sandon (parking available) and will finish with tea and cake in the church. Due to health and safety requirements, children must be accompanied by an adult and no dogs are allowed.
To enable the organisers to plan the organisation and catering, those intending to do the walk are requested to register in advance by phoning 01889 508347.