Litter of newborn pups abandoned in car park

Vet believes they were exposed to carbon monoxide

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a litter of newborn pups – thought to have been exposed to carbon monoxide – were found in a car park in Staffordshire.

The five pups – thought to have been no more than 48 hours old when found – were discovered in a box in a car park in Baker Street, Stoke, on Sunday 26 February – sadly, one was dead when found. They still had their eyes closed and had their umbilical cords attached.

RSPCA inspector Charlotte Melvin, who is investigating, said:

“The surviving pups were examined by a vet, who was very concerned that they all had very red paws – a symptom of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. I dread to think what that could possibly be from. We don’t know for certain that this is the case, however it is a concern.”

Two pups in the litter have since sadly died, however the surviving two – who have been named Doris and Dave – are being hand-reared and are doing well.

Inspector Melvin said:

“They are around a week old and are being hand-fed around the clock. After everything they have been through, we are really hoping that these two will pull through.

“The pups are defenceless and were at huge risk when dumped in the car park. We are keen to find out who dumped them and why. We are also very concerned about the pups’ mum, so we are appealing for anyone with information to contact us.”

Those with information should call 0300 123 8018, and leave a message for Inspector Melvin.

To help the RSPCA look after animals like Doris and Dave, text LOVE to 87023 to give £3 (text costs £3 + one standard network rate message) or visit www.rspca.org.uk/give.