WOMAN DIES IN WITHINGTON WHILST LIGHTING OPEN FIRE

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to keep warm safely after a fire investigation found an open fire was involved in the incident where a woman sadly died in Withington.

The Service was called to Withington Lane on January 9 at 8.08am and firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel jet to put out the fire. Sadly the 85-year-old already passed away and her dog had also died in the blaze.

Fire Investigation Officer Brian Griffiths said:

“This was a really tragic accident which sadly saw a woman lose her life and our thoughts are with the lady’s friends and family at this difficult time.

“A fire investigation has found the woman was trying to light an open fire with a match when her clothes set alight. This incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers of open fires and to keep warm safely. This woman was elderly which is highlighted in our SAME campaign. The campaign aims to raise awareness that Smoking Alcohol Mobility issues and being Elderly make people more vulnerable to dying in a fire in their home.

“If you know of someone who is vulnerable or elderly that hasn’t received a free Safe and Well visit from us please get in touch with our Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999. We are also keen to hear from those people who may have received a Safe and Well visit previously but whose circumstances, such as medical conditions, have changed since we last came around.”

For information about smoke alarms and staying safe and well in your home ring the Service’s Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999 or visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk