Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to extinguish barbecue coals properly after a house fire in Stafford.
Crews from Stafford, Penkridge, Stone, Longton, Eccleshall and Hanley attended the fire on Castle Bank on Monday May 7 at 10.44pm and used two hose reel jets and two main jets to put out the blaze.
A fire investigation found that the hot barbecue coals had been disposed of next to the garden shed which then caught fire.
Fire Investigation Officer Brian Griffiths said:
“The coals were left very close to the shed causing it to catch fire and because the shed was positioned right next to the house the flames quickly spread to the first floor and the roof.
“Fortunately the couple saw the fire start outside and they quickly got out of the property straight away and called 999.
“However, their home is severely damaged and this serves as a stark reminder to residents to ensure any coals and barbecues are put out correctly and thoroughly. Immerse coals in cold water and do not leave them unattended until they are completely out.
“We know people want to enjoy the hot weather and a lot of residents will be having barbecues but it is important to do so safely. Please visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/your-safety/safety-outside/bbq-safety/ for more safety advice on barbecues or call our free Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.”