Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding residents to take care when having picnics and barbecues in the open.
The plea comes during National Picnic Week and following a fire in the open in Brocton on Sunday, June 17, which was caused by a disposal barbecue. Fortunately the blaze was discovered by horse riders who called the Service and crews from Stafford attended to extinguish the fire.
Paul Shaw said:
“As the summer approaches people will obviously spend more time outdoors and this will often include barbecues and picnics. We of course want residents to enjoy spending time outside; however it is really important to do so safely.
“If you are in charge of the barbecue we recommend you don’t have too much to drink, don’t leave it unattended and ensure it is completely out when you are done. The best way to do this is to submerge the coals in cold water when you are finished.
“For those planning to have a picnic ensure you are not discarding cigarettes into the greenery as this can cause ignition which can quickly spread especially in dry conditions. This can make woodland fires difficult to tackle.”
For more safety information visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/your-safety/