Stone Dominoes snatch the win in local derby with Eccleshall

Saturday 25th August 2018  –   Hallmark Security NWCFL Division One South

Eccleshall v Stone Dominoes

A Ryan Baxter header ten minutes from time was enough for Stone Dominoes to secure all three points in the first of many local derbies this season.

With Reece Quinn unavailable, 16-year-old Matt Ellson, who has been signed on a dual registration from Nantwich Town started in goal, whilst Conor Gittins who has joined from Dominoes was amongst the substitutes.

Ellson was soon in action, making a fine save with legs on the tenth minute and then positioned himself well to cut out a cross shot.

In a scrappy first half Eccleshall created a couple of chances as Dan Needham twice fired over the bar and Bradley Carr rounded the visitor’s keeper Louis McCarthy but ran out of room. The half finished with a Harvey Collins header that didn’t trouble McCarthy.

HT. Eccleshall 0 Stone Dominoes 0

The second period continued in much the same way as the first, with Stone sitting deep to deny the Eccleshall strike force room in behind their defence and therefore most of the Eccleshall chances came from play in front of the Stone rear-guard. Serkari Ahmadi, Needham and Louis Downs all had efforts from distance that all cleared the crossbar, and substitute Reece White had two shots blocked.

Dominoes created their first chance of the half ten minutes from time, a cross to the far post was headed towards the home goal, but Ellson did well to palm the ball away for a corner and it was from that corner that Baxter headed the winner.

Eccleshall should have salvaged a draw in the final minute as Ahmadi found himself free at the back post but went for power and smashed the chance over the bar.

FT. Eccleshall 0 Stone Dominoes 1

Eccleshall – Ellson, Baker-Haynes (Gittins), Collins (c), Feeney, Dunn, Walsh, Standbridge, Carr (Wakefield), Downs, Needham, Ahmadi (White). Subs not used – Bennion, Finney.

Referee: Mr. Jonathan Chadwick

Attendance – 72


Monday 27 August

Cheadle Town 3 Eccleshall 2

Eccleshall travelled to Manchester looking to get back on track after Saturday’s defeat but went down again at the Park Road Stadium. Shay Finney, Tom Wakefield, Matt Quimby and Jordan Bennion returned to the starting line-up with Bradley Carr and Liam Baker Haynes on the bench

having been delayed on the M6. The Eagles went behind in the 24th minute to a goal by Rhys Webb and this scoreline remained until half time.

HT: Cheadle Town 1 Eccleshall 0

Eagles were quickly out of the blocks at the star of the second half when Reece White netted to equalise within a minute of the restart. However, Town regained the lead on 53 minutes through Remeece Brown, who found the top corner of the net giving Matt Ellson no chance. They went further in front when Ruben Abreu netted on 72 minutes. As full time approached, Eagles were denied a penalty for a foul on Callum Feeney but, in added time, Serkari Ahmadi reduced the arrears, side footing the ball past Cheadle ‘keeper Stuart Morrison and into the corner of the net.

FT: Cheadle Town 3 Eccleshall 2

Eagles: Ellson, Quimby, Bennion, Walsh, Collins, Feeney, Wakefield (Ahmadi), Finney, White (Carr), Downs, Needham.

Unused subs: Gittins, Baker-Haynes.

Referee: Mr. Matt McQuillan

Attendance: 68