Fire at business in Cold Meece caused by electrical fault

The fire at Cold Meece this morning

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed that the fire at a business in Cold Meece near Stone this morning was caused by an electrical fault.

We were called to a report of a fire at the premises of Smart Fleet Solutions at around 3.30 am today, October 3 2018. Pumps from Eccleshall, Stone, Newcastle, Stafford and Longton attended the blaze which started in a light fitting and then quickly spread to a paint spray booth. Around 25 per cent of the building suffered fire damage with the rest affected by smoke and heat. The fire has now been put out and all crews had left the scene by around 8am.

Group manager, Dermot Hogan said:

“The people involved did exactly the right thing in the circumstances. They made an attempt to put out the fire with extinguishers and when that didn’t work, they got everyone out, called the emergency services and stayed out. This is what we would advise anyone to do in these circumstances.”

The Service’s Business Support team is now working with the company on its business continuity plan so it can be up and running again as soon as possible. Technical Fire Safety Lead, Matt White said:

“We’re advising the firm on how they can get working again quickly. Fortunately, when crews arrived, there was a folder with information on how to isolate gas and water supplies. This helped us put out the fire more quickly as a gas pipe had fractured during the fire. This kind of forward planning can be really helpful to us in the event of an emergency and may even help prevent a fire from spreading.”

Businesses wanting assistance with developing fire prevention plans can find out more from our Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.