Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to keep warm safely following a serious fire in Stafford.
Crews from Stafford, Stone and Eccleshall were called to Long Lane, Derrington, at 1.26am on Saturday, September 8, after a fire broke out in a bungalow. They used a hose reel jet and two firefighters wore breathing apparatus to put out the blaze which started in the ceiling void between the living room and bedroom.
The occupiers smelt smoke, which they believed was coming from down the road but soon realised it was in their property when their smoke alarm activated and they evacuated straight away.
Station Manager Simon Craythorn said:
“This incident involved heat conduction from a duel fuel burner which caused a fire to develop in the floor space of the bedroom.
“The residents had noticed their room was unusually warm and moved to a different bedroom. The fire was mainly confined to the bedroom but the floor collapsed into the lounge and the flames broke through the roof of the dormer bungalow. The crews quickly got the incident under control and manage to save a large amount of the property.
“We encourage everyone to check their burners for any damage and ensure they are well maintained. This advice goes for any type of heaters or electric blankets. With winter coming this is the ideal time to check over these items and ensure your home is safe.
“Fortunately no one was injured during this fire as the residents left the property and called the fire service. This is exactly what we encourage people to do in a fire, get out and stay out.”
For more safety advice visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/your-safety/safety-at-home/ or call the FREE Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.
Basic winter safety advice includes:
· Keep electrical heaters away from flammable materials and ensure they are not damaged
· Use a fire guard when using an open fire, keep the chimney swept regularly and use the correct fuel
· Keep candles away from combustibles, do not leave them unattended and extinguish them before going to bed
· Examine electric blankets for wear and tear and do not use if it is damaged or over ten-years-old. Store it rolled up or flat to protect wiring.
· Look when you cook, keep flammable items away from cookers and do not cook after drinking alcohol
Media Note: Photos are attached for your use.